12 August, 2011

Balefire : A Book Review

"The thing about unrequited love is that it doesn't tend to go away."

"Darkness is in everyone... In me, in you, in [them] and everyone. And so is light. Darkness is a choice, a path. Every day we all have to make the choice, to choose good, choose light. We make the choice against darkness, against evil, every day, a thousand times a day, our whole lives."



This is a good, but long book by Cate Tiernan. Granted it is four books in one volume, it reads like one book. I really wish I had read them as four different books. I got kind of bogged down in the length simply because my attention span is horrible. I really did love the twins and the characters. I liked the plot and really loved that Tiernan changed points of view between first person (Thais) to first person (Clio) to third person. It did help keep my attention and thought it was neat to see all sides.

Clio is beautiful, popular, and powerful. Living in New Orleans with her grandmother, she's grown up knowing she was a witch and learning to use her magick. Que Thais. Thias's father dies unexpectedly while she is away on vacation. When she is returns she's swept into the courts and is put in the custody of a woman she's never heard of, as were her father's orders. Axelle is abnormal and whisks Thais off to New Orleans, away from all she's ever known. There she gets enrolled in school and the first day, she finds herself staring into her own face on another girl. From there, Thais is rushed into a world where she has a twin sister, powerful magickal abilities, and a group of witches who need her. The girls have to learn quickly who to help, who can be trusted, and most importantly how to help eachother.

I greatly enjoyed this book. I really think anyone who likes stories of witches will enjoy this. It's really nice if you like New Orleans or know some about it. I especially adore seeing Thais's view on summer and live in the deep south after coming from northern states. Like I said, I think most people who love witches will love Cate Tiernan's take on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment