01 July, 2011

The Two Princesses of Bamarre : A Book Review

I actually read this before Princess Academy, but the review got lost in the world of my flash drive. So here it is!


 
“Tarry with me, my love, at my side.”
-Gail Carson Levine
I haven’t enough words to put the praise I have for Gail Carson Levine into. Until now, I had only read her most well-known novel, Ella Enchanted, and it was my favorite. Recently I was lucky enough to find two of her other books at a used bookstore. I got decent copies of Fairest and The Two Princesses of Bamarre. The later I read first and absolutely loved it!
Princess Adelina is a shy, timid little princess. Princess Meryl, Adelina’s sister, is more of an adventure loving, courageous, strong willed princess. Princess Meryl always planned to find the cure to the Gray Death and to protect her sister. When the tables are turned and Meryl gets the Gray Death, it’s up to Adelina to leave the warmth and safety of her castle home in hopes to save her sister. Can a shy little princess become a hero? Or with Bamarre lose both the princesses?
I absolutely loved the fairytale way Levine tells this story! Such a beautifully spun new tale for the ages. It’s so wonderful to read a standalone novel and it’s even better that it was amazing. While Ella’s story still remains my favorite, this book is certainly towards the top of my list of favorite full novel fairy tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment