12 August, 2011

Oh. My. Gods. : A Book Review

"'A fairy tale,' he says, 'is a story we wish were true.'"



I loved this book! It was quirky and girly and a nice break from witches/werewolves/etc. While I adore my normal genre of books, I enjoy the girlier side as well. It did bother me a bit that I had a history in the study of greek mythology, thus some "surprises" were obvious to me but the characters hadn't figured it out yet.  Aside from that, I really really enjoyed it.

Phoebe is just a normal girl. Track team girl, but normal. She lives alone with her mother in California and has her whole life planned out. That is, until her mother goes to a family reunion to visit Phoebe's late father's family and brings home an engagement! Once school is out Phoebe is pulled from all she knows and taken to a pricate island in Greece. On the island is the academy that her new step-father runs, but the students are... special. They are all the desendants of greek gods. Her only hope to continue on the path to the life she had planned is to gain scholarship to her dream college, but that is only possible if she runs excellently on the track team. She has to be better than everyone else, better than demi-gods. And you thought your high school was hell.

I've said it before, and I say it again, I love this book! It was clever and sweet and not too serious. It's a wonderful read if you like greek mythology, super humans, etc. I, personally, cannot wait to get my hands on the sequel, Goddess Bootcamp.


No comments:

Post a Comment